John Hampden Grammar School
Stay ahead with exclusive tips on the Buckinghamshire 11+ exam for John Hampden Grammar School
We’re dedicated to your child’s success
With a proven track record in preparing pupils for the 11 Plus, Marie Redmond MEd and her team of exceptional, fully qualified and experienced primary teachers (not ‘tutors’) provide specialist tuition focused on your child’s individual learning needs.
Our unique 11 Plus tuition courses in Amersham, Aylesbury, Beaconsfield, Bushey, Gerrards Cross, High Wycombe, Langley, Maidenhead, Reading (Winnersh, Wokingham) and Stoke Poges are structured to give children the confidence they need to sit and pass exams in a friendly, stress-free environment.
Introduction to the Buckinghamshire Transfer Test (Bucks 11 Plus)
To apply for a place at a Buckinghamshire grammar school (including John Hampden Grammar School), your child will need to pass the Buckinghamshire Transfer Test (11 Plus exam). The Buckinghamshire test is provided by GL Assessment and the pass mark is 121. Children born between 1st September 2013 and 31st August 2014 will take the exam on Thursday 12th September 2024 to secure a Buckinghamshire grammar place for September 2025.
The GL exam consists of two papers, taken on the same day, each approximately 60 minutes in duration and testing three areas – verbal, mathematical and non-verbal reasoning skills. The first paper tests verbal skills, including comprehension, English technical and verbal reasoning. The second paper tests non-verbal reasoning, spatial reasoning and maths. All questions on both papers are multiple choice and pupils indicate their answers on a separate answer sheet.
- You do not need to register your child if they attend a Buckinghamshire Local Authority primary school.
- If your child goes to a Partner School or a school in another Local Authority area, you will need to register on the Buckinghamshire Secondary Transfer Testing Registration Form.
- Registration for the 2024 exam (for children who attend partner schools and out of county schools), will open at 10am on Friday 3rd May 2024 and will close at 3pm on Friday 14th June 2024.
- For more information about the Buckinghamshire 11 Plus, visit the Buckinghamshire Council website or The Buckingamshire Grammar Schools. You can also contact the Buckinghamshire Council Admissions team here.
What is required to pass the Bucks 11 Plus and help secure a place at John Hampden Grammar School?
Verbal skills, i.e. English and Verbal Reasoning (50% of the mark)
- Verbal reasoning (the production of words, relationships between words, letters and numbers)
Mathematical skills (25% of the mark)
- Basic skills (addition, multiplication, division and subtraction)
- Mental maths development
- Problem solving techniques
- Extracting information from graphs and tables
- Foundation algebra concepts
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Ratio and proportion
- Area and volume
- 2d and 3d shapes
Non-verbal skills (25% of the mark)
- Spatial awareness
- Logical deduction skills
- Mathematical concepts such as symmetry, rotation and reflection
- Identifying relationships, similarities and differences between figures
- Identifying sequences between shapes
11+ Mock Exams With Marie Redmond 11+ Intelligent Video Learning®
Get exam ready with Marie Redmond Tuition® GL Assessment-style Buckinghamshire 11 Plus Mock Exams. Students who sat our Buckinghamshire mock exams in 2023 said they were very similar to the actual test, which made them feel prepared and confident when sitting the exam.
Marie Redmond's Superbrain® 11+ Resources
A range of Marie Redmond’s Superbrain® Books are provided exclusively to students on our term time and holiday courses. Using the knowledge gained during her eleven years of preparing students for the 11+ and independent school entrance exams, Marie Redmond MEd has written a number of verbal reasoning, English and maths books. Additionally, a range of verbal reasoning holiday course books are provided exclusively to students attending our Year 5 11+ Easter and 11+ summer holiday courses.
Marie Redmond’s Superbrain® 11 Plus Flash Cards are given to all our term time students when they join, to supercharge their vocabulary skills.
Our Range of Marie Redmond’s Superbrain® Books for Year 5 Courses
Our Range of Marie Redmond’s Superbrain® Books for Year 4 Courses
Data-Led Approach With SuccessTrack® by Marie Redmond
Our term time students are assessed twice during each team – at half term and at the end of term. Based on the outcome of their initial assessment, we will create a tuition plan that sets their individual targets for each area they are preparing for (e.g. verbal, non-verbal and numerical reasoning). All lessons throughout the course are then designed to develop these areas. We continually monitor our student’s progress; this means that we can check they’ve achieved their individual targets and revise their tuition plan to ensure that it suits their needs and challenges. Parents are always welcome to get in touch with us at any time during your child’s tuition, to gain feedback on their development.
SuccessTrack® by Marie Redmond is our unique data-led service that allows parents to:
- Track their child’s progress over the Year 4 and 5 term time courses – our charts visualise a students’ performance in each area of the 11 Plus, using data from our regular assessments (2 per term).
- See their child’s overall score and how that compares to our recommended pass mark for each exam they are planning to sit.
- View anonymously how their child’s scores compares (for each topic area and at a total level) to the average of all children in their cohort.
- View their child’s termly tuition plan, created using data from their assessments.
- Read the end of term student report from their child’s teacher.
The Marie Redmond Tuition® Book Club
Sharing our enjoyment of books is a fantastic way to encourage reading and therefore develop vocabulary and comprehension at home. The Marie Redmond Tuition® Book Club is an excellent platform for discussions about books, opportunities for creativity and promoting reading for pleasure. Discover our book of the month.
The Marie Redmond Tuition® Creative Writing Course
Our virtual creative writing lessons take place weekly on Zoom and are particularly useful for boys preparing for the Reading School 11+ exam but are open to all our term time students.
Every week there is a focus which can include story settings, characters, openings, events / problems and resolutions. Students practise writing in a variety of formats such as stories, plays, newspaper articles and letters. They are taught to use a variety of literary techniques and we show them how to draft their work, as well as reviewing and editing.
For further information, including fees, term dates and FAQ’s, please visit our creative writing course page.
Our courses are led by qualified primary teachers and prepare pupils for all aspects of the Buckinghamshire 11 PlusDiscover our 11 Plus courses
Feedback from parents
We are delighted to say he got a score of 132. We are deciding on Borlase or John Hampden. Many thanks for your help and support over the past year.
Year 5 parent, Marlow (2022)
I am pleased to say that Ollie did pass his 11+ with a score of 132 and hopes to go to John Hampden.
Year 5 parent, High Wycombe (2016)